Monday, September 29, 2008

Parachuting, Anyone?

Lately Jacob has been FASCINATED with race cars. NASCAR, rally car racing, drag racing...you name it, he's into it. Well...the other day I turned on a race for him to watch - thank goodness for the Speed channel - and he told me that he was not happy with the race that was on because there were no crashes happening. I've been trying to get him to understand that crashes are not a good thing because the people that are involved can get hurt really badly. He wanted more of an explanation (duh, Amy! He's three!!).

I decided to see what I could find on YouTube. I was able to find Dale Earnhardt's final race/crash. I let him watch it, because it's not graphic in any way, and, of course, he thought that it was awesome. Then I had to explain to him what happened to the driver, etc. This gradually made its way to a whole other discussion - which is actually my reason for posting this blog. He then started asking a million questions about death and Heaven. Right now at age three, it is easiest for us to tell him that Heaven is in the sky, and that is where is loved ones that have passed reside, along with Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ.

He sat quietly for a few minutes, and this is how our conversation went after that:

Jacob: "I'm sad because my Papa (he passed away in February of this year) doesn't have a parachute."
Me: "Why would Papa need a parachute?"
Jacob: "So that he can fly down and see us now that he is all better and healed up."
Me: Blank stare. (What can I possibly say to this kid that is too smart for his own good?!?!)

Well, obviously I explained to him that it doesn't work that way, but it did start the racing of my thoughts. Wouldn't it be nice if our deceased loved ones could just parachute down for a visit every once in a while? The only problem that I can foresee: I wouldn't let my dad go back. I started to think - what in the world would I do if I could have one day with my dad? I will close with my answer to that:

If I could have you back for a day,

What would I do? What would I say?

Would I hold onto your neck and never let go?

Or take you by the hand, and tell you how I’ve missed you so?

If I could have you back for a day

We’d shoot hoops, play catch, slap jack and crazy eights.

You’d get to meet your grandkids, and Lee, my husband, too

I’d let them play for hours, just to spend time with you.

If I could have you back for a day

We’d laugh, we’d cry, we’d love and play.

We’d talk, tell stories, and reminisce

About old times, and all of the things that you’ve missed.

If I could have you back for a day

Then I’d finally have the chance to say:

“I love you, Dad. You mean the world to me.

Thanks for all of your hard work, and for supporting our family.

Thanks for being the man that you were:

Honest, devoted, loving, humble and kind;

Caring, gentle, intelligent and refined.

I miss you dearly, but I’ll see you again some day

So long for now, don’t cry for me

For I have the memory of you to help me along the way.




4 comments:

Erin Noel said...

That is beautiful Amy!

jamie said...

oooh thanks amy! that would be way helpful! Im going to put a sign in my kitchen that says "I kiss better than i cook" LOL I love reading your posts, that one about parachuting was so sweet and touching. :) Hope things are good with you guys. By the way, did you ever sell your house? Last I heard, Lee was commuting a terribly long distance to and from work each day...

Jessica said...

It would be amazing if Uncle Bruce and Papa could parachute down here and be with us. Even after reading all the things you'd do, I still can't figure out all the things I'd wanna say and do.

Hope everything is going good! Miss ya!

<3 ya Most

Wes and Summer said...

What a sweet baby! How can you ever punish a sweet heart like that?! lol